Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Galleon

9 Carlisle St
St Kilda 3182 VIC
p. 03 9534 8934


I have delayed reviewing this ‘shrine’ for fear that I will not do it justice. Just off Acland Street this cafe is a sanctuary for the urban bohemian population of St Kilda. The interior flaunts all that was cool until it became one big cliché in cafe culture. Mismatched Formica tables, walls that adopt the role as your Melbourne gig guide come display gallery for the local nude drawers of St Kilda.

With no shortage of customers The Galleon manages its patrons- in-waiting via a brown paper bag stuck to the door which you put your name on. Once everyone above you gets allocated a seat then it’s your turn. You normally do not have to wait too long and on rare occasions I have got a table straight away, however, if you’re after a quick caffeine hit and something to get your chompers into you may not want to risk it. Furthermore communal tables are a go-go here so if you want to share scandalous gossip with your companion I again would not risk eating at The Galleon – unless you’re looking to spread the gossip...

If everyone that eats here holds it in the esteem that I do (which I think they do by the level of regulars) then it would not surprise me if the staff let it go to their head. But they don’t. They are natural, efficient, friendly and helpful. Hell, they even forgave their 10% surcharge on Good Friday to give it to charity. Now how about that?

Typically at this point in my Galleon experience I am quite relaxed, I flick through the paper, I have ordered a fabulous coffee and am sipping that, while simultaneously reaching out for my boyfriend’s chai sipping that too all while having a small mental breakdown about what to order. I had been recommended the Sweet potato fritters. I trusted my advisor and ordered. Arrived were two handsome plump fritters. They were flavoursome and moist without the deep fry taste or the worse still, soggy inside. It came with a poached egg and house made relish - A fabulous (and low GI) twist on the potato hash brown.

If you’re looking for a sweet option the French toast with bacon, bananas and maple syrup is sure to please. Heavily doused in the egg mixture it is substantial and you can bet that when you cut into it you are not going to find ‘raw’ white bread. I hate that. There is a generous breakfast menu that I will not leak today, I suggest you go and discover it yourself. Just before I depart I will do a plug for one more dish...the Haloumi, chickpea and sweet potato salad. Yahum. A lunch dish that is served warm – the three main ingredients teamed with walnuts and baby spinach and good lashings of dressing making for a memorable salad.

The doors of the Galleon are open every day with service starting at the crack of dawn.

Summary

  • I will go back to The Galleon (already have)
  • I will recommend The Galleon
  • I would put it on my must-eat-at list, not because it is groundbreaking but just because... because it’s solid and good.

1 comment:

  1. I agree this place is one of Melbourne’s best finds! As a weekly regular, I like to enjoy a generous self infused honey chai while reading my morning paper. The only downside to this little gem is that you may unfortunately be seated at the play seats outside, sitting a centremetre or two off the ground with your ankles around your ears on seats designed for mini me’s 6 year old little sister all the while dawning on the realisation that your table was forgotten. If that table is offered I recommend waiting for the next available table. Apart from that 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete